HarmonyOS is not a replacement for Android.
Well, one of the reasons you might consider, unlike other OS’s used by giant firms for different types of electronic products, HarmonyOS can be adapted for different devices and scenarios. so that you will end up with one Operating system, designed to be used across of the devices. Rather than having everything in the same place.
HarmonyOS is a micro- kernel-based OS, in a nutshell, micro-kernel OS are considered to be safer and more efficient than hybrid kernels which power most OS today.
Challenges with current OS
- Deliver seamless experience of users.
- Seamless AI life.
- Challenges with OS.
- Million line of Codes.
- Multi-device interconnection raises in security concern.
- close coupling, ecosystem cannot be shared.
The above statistics states that the usage of devices is drastically increasing however, the devices are isolated and fragmented. The challenge is “Device Collaboration” due to which cross device experience is difficult to achieve.
To explain this with an example, say you are listening to music on your phone however you have a better speaker available in the same room that could be used. which is also capable of playing the same music file with better audio quality capabilities, instead it is played on your phone.
So, your mobile device does not prompt you to utilize the best resources available to you.
- Hence, we are looking for seamless inter device collaboration.
- Shifting the paradigm of writing application for a single device, instead define virtual devices or virtual resources.
HarmonyOS will bring new benefits to consumers, equipment vendors and developers.
HarmonyOS is the world’s most advanced OS for the next generation of smartphones and internet of things (IOT)applications.
The Goal of HarmonyOS is to bring people a truly engaging and diverse experience. we want to invite developers all around the world to join as we build out this new ecosystem. Together, we will deliver an intelligent experience for consumers in all scenarios.
Key features of HarmonyOS
- Modularized Architecture.
- Flexible Adaptation.
- Shared Resources.
- Distributed Virtual Bus.
- Simplified Protocol.
- Resource Scheduling
- Formal Verification Method.
Highlights of HarmonyOS
- It is like a modular OS where the devices only use what they need.
- The modularized decoupled HarmonyOS can be nested in various devices in demand.
- Flexible adaptation to a multitude of device types in all scenarios.
- Developing a distributed app via the distributed capability kit is as easy as developing a standalone app.
- IDE for multi- device development.
- Complier will support unified compilation in multiple language (c/c++, java, js, kotlin, etc.) to increase development productivity.
We need a better-connected world; application should benefit hardware ability to connect all the connected user devices independently where the application was installed on.
To achieve this, we need a fair ecosystem and that’s when we can achieve a full connected all scenario intelligent ecosystem possible and this is where HarmonyOS helps us to achieve this.
You can find more details about HarmonyOS on the official webpage here